22 W. Ohio St.
Ph: (660) 679-6465
Fx: (660) 679-6658 Butler Office
Ph: (816) 994-6200
FX: (816) 396-6240 Lee's Summit Office
Monday - Friday
8 am - 5 pm
The City Attorney attends one (1) regular meeting of the city council each month and remains available for consultation by telephone or other means during other regular meetings of the city council and attends or remains available for consultation during such other meetings as the city council may require.
The City Attorney prosecutes violations of the city's ordinances before the municipal judge, or before any circuit judge hearing violations of the city's ordinances and prosecutes city ordinance violations on appeal.
The City Attorney also:
- draft all bills, ordinances and resolutions required by the officers of the city
- drafts necessary contracts, easements and other legal documents at the request of the officers of the city
- consults with and provide opinions for officers of the city, both orally and in writing, concerning legal matters
- appears as counsel for the city in litigation upon request of the mayor and city council
- provides legal services which may be required by capital improvement projects of the city and other legal services as may be requested by the mayor and city council